Our Privacy Vow
Your privacy is important. We strive to provide you with a safe and secure user experience. On occasion, there may be instances wherein information must be obtained in order to differentiate you from our thousands of other unique visitors. This helps us provide information and services that are most relevant to you. Our primary goal in collecting information from you is to provide you with a smooth and efficient experience while using our products and Website.
Types of Information Collected
In those instances where we obtain information from you through registration, cookies or otherwise, the information falls into two categories; personally identifiable information, and anonymous information. Personally identifiable information lets us know the specifics of who you are. We do not collect any personally identifiable information about you unless you voluntarily provide it to us. When you engage in certain activities with our programs or with our Website, we may ask you to provide us with certain information about yourself. If you do not provide that information, depending on the product or service you may not be able to engage in that activity. It is completely optional for you to engage or not engage in those products or activities. Anonymous information refers to information that does not by itself identify a specific individual. We gather certain information about you based upon where you visit on our site in several ways. This information may be compiled and analyzed on an individual or aggregated basis. The anonymous information we collect and analyze is used for the sole purpose of improving our service to you.
We collect information through registration and cookies.
When registering for certain products and services such as contests, promotions, online curriculum and games, we may ask that you provide us with some information. This information may include your name, passwords, email address, phone number, and postal address, some of which will be used for personalization and identification purposes only.
Some of our Web pages use “cookies” so that we can better serve you with more tailored information. Cookies are pieces of information that websites transfer to your browser to keep on your computer for record-keeping purposes. These cookies allow us to “save” your passwords and settings so that you can avoid re-entering them each time you return for a visit. It should be understood that cookies do NOT collect any information, but rather store preferences. The information we collect and analyze is used for the sole purpose of improving our service to you. The cookies make your use of the site easier, make the site run more smoothly, and help us to maintain a secure site.
Use of Information
Any personal information you provide to Junior Achievement of New York or that we collect from you is maintained and accessible only by Junior Achievement of New York, unless specifically stated otherwise. JA New York may use the information it collects in any of the following ways:
- We do not sell or trade your personally identifiable information to others. We will NOT release your personally identifiable information to other organizations (other than perhaps between Junior Achievement USA and JA Worldwide, as described below) without your express permission.
- Certain use of Junior Achievement of New York’s trademark, copyright and other intellectual property is licensed from JA Worldwide, which entity owns the trademarks “JA”, “Junior Achievement” and other related branding rights, and with whom Junior Achievement of New York and Junior Achievement USA has contractual obligations in connection with the licensing of those intellectual property rights. We may share your personally identifiable and anonymous information between Junior Achievement USA and JA Worldwide, but only for use in connection with the overall Junior Achievement organization.
- We use aggregate data collected to inform our local offices of the number of people from their areas who are registered users. No personally identifiable information is disclosed in this process; only anonymous information in aggregate form.
- Non-specific, aggregate data is also used for the purposes of collecting general demographic information, measuring user interests, and analyzing the collective characteristics and behaviors of our registered visitors. The collection of this information allows us to appropriately change, update, and service the Website in accordance to common trends.
- From time to time, JA New York may use your information to inform you of changes and enhancements to our content and services. For those who have elected to receive information from JA New York such as offers or information about the company, we may send you direct or electronic mail regarding products and services we feel may be of interest to you. If you do not want to continue to receive such offers or information, simply tell us and we can edit your account information to no longer receive such mailings.
- If you enter a sweepstakes or contest, we may use any personally identifiable or anonymous information that you provided to contact you if you should win.
- You should be aware that if you voluntarily disclose personally identifiable information (i.e., your name, e-mail address, etc.) in any discussion forums or other public areas on this site, any information you disclose in your communication can be collected and used by third parties. Such activities are beyond our control and this policy does not apply to such information.
- Ultimately, you are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your password and/or account information. Please be careful and responsible whenever you are online.
- Junior Achievement is in compliance with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 (COPPA). JA New York makes reasonable efforts to avoid obtaining, and does not retain, any personal information from anyone under the age of 13 that would be in violation of the COPPA. The personally identifiable information we collect is in no way intended for those under the age of 13, unless we otherwise comply with COPPA. Where certain personal information is requested, it must be indicated that the user is 13 years of age or older in order for the information to be stored or transmitted, unless otherwise obtained and retained in accordance with COPPA.
- JA New York also cooperates with, and reserves the right to release any and all personally identifiable information to tax collection and tax law enforcement agencies in order to identify those users who may owe taxes on earnings from JA New York prize winnings. (U.S. residents who win $600.00 or more combined cash and merchandise prizes in a calendar year must provide their Social Security number in order to receive “1099” forms from JA New York.)
- JA New York uses SSL security on any form that requires credit card information. We will never ask for information that could be used in a phishing scheme without the SSL security behind the form.
- Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet or any wireless network can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your personally identifiable information, you acknowledge that: (a) there are security and privacy limitations of the Internet which are beyond our control; (b) the security, integrity, and privacy of any and all information and data exchanged between you and us through our Website cannot be guaranteed; and (c) any such information and data may be viewed or tampered with in transit by a third party.
Policies of Third Parties Not Addressed
Updates to Policy
Periodically, we may change, modify, make additions to or deletions from this policy, without giving you prior notice, or any notice. Any modifications to this policy will be posted as part of this policy. We suggest that you review and update yourself regarding this policy. Your continued use of our Website or products and services after any changes or modifications constitutes your agreement to follow and be bound by any changes or modifications.
Individuals may opt-out of communications, thereby terminating all existing information he or she may have registered with Junior Achievement. This is done by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and requesting a removal from our database.
Any modifications to this policy will be posted in this space. We welcome any questions or comments you have.
Use of Website.
You understand and agree that temporary interruptions of the services available through the site may occur as normal events. You further understand and agree that we have no control over third-party networks you may access in the course of the use of the site, and therefore, delays and disruption of other network transmissions are completely beyond our control.
Intellectual Property Rights.
All Content contained on the Website and the JA New York Services referenced or included within this site, unless otherwise indicated, are protected by law, including, but not limited to, United States copyright and trademark laws, as well as other state, national and international laws and regulations. Unlawful copying or use of JA New York’s intellectual property and intellectual property rights it owns or licenses will be considered infringement. JA New York licenses certain of its intellectual property rights from Junior Achievement USA and JA Worldwide. JA Worldwide, Junior Achievement USA’s area licensees, and their respective officers, directors, employees, contractors and agents, and their suppliers, sponsors and advertisers, are collectively referred to as the “Affiliates” in this Agreement. Junior Achievement USA and JA Worldwide are the owners or licensees of the various trademarks and logos on the Website. You may download and reprint one copy of any Content on the Website for personal, non-commercial use only, though we do not warrant that any files which you download will be free of viruses or other harmful or disruptive code. Otherwise, you may not copy, post, modify, distribute, or reproduce any such intellectual property in any way. In addition, to the extent the Website references, mentions or links to any copyrighted material, trademarks, or other proprietary information belonging to third parties, you may not copy, post, modify, distribute, or reproduce any such intellectual property without obtaining the prior written consent of the owner of such proprietary rights.
Third Party Content, Sites and Services.
The Website may contain links to other Internet sites, resources and/or sponsors of the Website. We do not verify, warrant, endorse or take responsibility for the availability, accuracy, completeness or quality of the content contained in these outside sites. JA New York is providing these links to you only as a convenience, and the inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement by JA New York of the site or any association with its operators.
Disclaimer of Warranties.
THE CONTENT AND OTHER INFORMATION PROVIDED ON THIS WEBSITE HAVE BEEN PREPARED AND PROVIDED TO YOU FOR GENERAL INFORMATION PURPOSES ONLY. ALTHOUGH WE STRIVE TO PROVIDE YOU WITH ACCURATE INFORMATION, THE CONTENT ON THIS WEBSITE MAY INCLUDE TYPOGRAPHICAL ERRORS, INACCURACIES OR OTHER MISTAKES. ALL MATERIALS AND SERVICES ON THE WEBSITE ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR THE WARRANTY OF NON-INFRINGEMENT. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, WE MAKE NO WARRANTY THAT (A) THE SERVICES AND MATERIALS WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, (B) THE SERVICES AND MATERIALS WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE, OR ERROR-FREE, (C) THE RESULTS THAT MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE USE OF THE SERVICES OR MATERIALS WILL BE EFFECTIVE, ACCURATE, OR RELIABLE, OR (D) THE QUALITY OF ANY PRODUCTS, SERVICES OR INFORMATION OBTAINED BY YOU FROM THE SITE WILL MEET YOUR EXPECTATIONS OR BE FREE FROM MISTAKES, ERRORS OR DEFECTS. WE ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE TIMELINESS, DELETION, MISDELIVERY OR FAILURE TO STORE ANY USER COMMUNICATIONS OR PERSONALIZATION SETTINGS. THE USE OF THE SERVICES OR THE DOWNLOADING OR OTHER ACQUISITION OF ANY MATERIALS THROUGH THIS SITE IS DONE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK.
Limitation on Liability.
IN NO EVENT SHALL WE NOR OUR AFFILIATES BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTY FOR ANY INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, EXEMPLARY, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION THOSE RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER OR NOT WE HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES, AND WHETHER BASED IN CONTRACT, TORT, STRICT LIABILITY OR ANY OTHER THEORY OF LIABILITY, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OF THE WEBSITE OR OF ANY WEBSITE REFERENCED OR LINKED FROM THE SITE. FURTHER, NEITHER WE NOR OUR AFFILIATES SHALL BE LIABLE IN ANY WAY FOR THIRD-PARTY GOODS AND SERVICES OFFERED THROUGH THE SITE. SOME JURISDICTIONS PROHIBIT THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
Although the Website may be accessible worldwide, we make no representation that Content on this site are appropriate or available for use in locations outside the United States, and accessing them from territories where their contents are illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access the Website from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with local laws. Any offer for any product, service and/or information made in connection with this Website is void where prohibited.
U.S. Export Controls.
To the extent any software is available in connection with the Services (“Software”), it is further subject to United States export controls. No Software may be downloaded from the Services or otherwise exported or re-exported in violation of U.S. export laws. By downloading or using the Software, you represent and warrant that such download or use is not in violation of any such law. Disputes. If there is any dispute about or involving the Services, you agree that the dispute shall be governed by the laws of the State of New York without regard to conflict of law provisions and you agree to personal jurisdiction by and venue in the state and federal courts of the State of New York. Either JA New York or you may demand that any dispute between JA New York and you arising out of this Agreement must be settled by arbitration utilizing the dispute resolution procedures of the American Arbitration Association (AAA) in New York State.
You agree to indemnify, defend and hold Junior Achievement of New York, Junior Achievement USA, JA Worldwide and their Affiliates harmless from any loss, liability, claim, damages or demand, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, made by any third party due to or arising out of your use of the Website, Content or Services in violation of this Agreement and/or arising from a breach of this Agreement and/or if any Content that you post on the Website or through the Services causes Junior Achievement of New York, Junior Achievement USA, JA Worldwide or their Affiliates to be liable to another.
I HAVE READ THIS AGREEMENT AND AGREE TO ALL OF THE PROVISIONS CONTAINED ABOVE.